San Francisco Day Trip


While my friend Bethany was here to visit, we had to experience San Francisco! My wonderful Dad was able to coordinate a day trip where we hit several major highlights in only 7 hours in the city.

First, we took the ferry boat under Golden Gate bridge and around Alcatraz Island.


We visited Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf, and the Believe it or Not Museum. We got to look around the shops and walk along the streets.

We also visited the Aquarium at the Bay, which was wonderful. Although I prefer the Monterey Bay Aquarium, this one still had a lot of interesting fish and wildlife.


After clam chowder and doughnuts, we headed to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. I love to look at art, and we got to see some incredible works by Andy Warhol, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Picasso, Georges Braque, and so many others. There were works of art which took incredible amounts of talent, such as this:


Then, there were the modern art pieces designed to "challenge your assumptions" about what constitutes art. Call me uncultured, but I find a pile of dirt or a plain blue canvas a bit difficult to revere as famous artwork...

That being said, the Museum of Modern Art was very interesting, and I wish we could have spent longer there! Also, children under 18 can go for free, which I thought was very generous of them.

I love the architecture of San Francisco, and just the busy atmosphere of the streets with the smell of salt and shops and the ocean breeze intermingling.
View from the balcony in the Museum of Modern Art

San Francisco sourdough bread is the best!
This submarine near Pier 39 is very interesting.

I had a wonderful time in San Francisco, and this may be the last trip there before I leave to Abu Dhabi. I was so glad that I got to spend time sightseeing with Bethany and my family! It was amazing how many places we were able to see in only 7 hours.

~Alison



Comments