Year 1: Semester 1 Week 10


Hey hey,

I cannot believe it is November. It still feels like summer here, although it's cooling off especially in the mornings. High temperatures are still in the mid-90s Fahrenheit/ low 30s Celsius.

This week was pretty routine, so there's not too much to post about-- lots of lectures, note-taking, assignments, and studying. In Foundations of Science we're learning about fluid dynamics in physics (air resistance, buoyancy forces, etc.) and rotational motion, and in chemistry we're doing basics of quantum mechanics- the Schroedinger equation and the photoelectric effect and electron configurations and all that fun stuff. A lot of it involves concepts I've seen before in high school AP classes at some point, but with more complicated problem solving and learning at a faster pace. Some days it's really frustrating and other days it's fascinating, and most days it's somewhere in between or both at once. But that's life I guess. In my colloquium class Faith in Science Reason in Revelation, we're reading about the scientific revolution, whether or not it was truly "revolutionary", and the implications of it for theology. I think it's my favorite class this semester.

Like I've said before, getting to celebrate all the world holidays is pretty fun. Between Halloween, Diwali, Día de los Muertos, and U.A.E. Flag Day, there was a lot of fun stuff. For Día de los Muertos, we had sweet bread, hot chocolate, and a visit from the Mexican ambassador to the U.A.E.
Una ofrenda de Día de los Muertos
U.A.E. flag
On Thursday night, I went to the premiere of the movie Dr. Strange- mostly to see Benedict Cumberbatch, of course. Gotta love a good dose of Hollywood stereotype-infused Superhero-charged American culture-- with Arabic subtitles. :)  

I love going to church here on Fridays- the community is so welcoming and supportive.  All of the positions in my church are volunteer-based assignments, and I just learned that I get to play piano for the children's class (Primary) during their singing time. I'm so excited for this. 

I got to finish the week by visiting the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque! This building is breathtakingly, indescribably beautiful. Gold-capped columns, marble, gleaming chandeliers, and the serene atmosphere of being in a spiritual place. Even though I pass by it all the time when going other places, I hadn't gotten around to visiting since my Candidate Weekend trip to the U.A.E. back in December. It is most definitely among the most beautiful buildings in the world. 

And yes, because I know I'm going to get this question and I've gotten it before, women are required to cover their hair out of respect when entering the mosque. But elsewhere in the U.A.E., women are not required to cover their hair.







Thanks for reading! Also, good luck to all the high schoolers who are applying to colleges right now! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any help/ have any questions. Hope you all have a wonderful week. 

Goodnight from Saadiyat Island, 
Alison

Comments